[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Sun Sep 26 20:29:09 UTC 2010

At 11:31 AM 9/26/2010 -0600, you wrote:
>On Sunday, September 26, 2010 11:18:52 am Dave Brown wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Nicolas Riendeau
> <knight at teksavvy.com>wrote:
> > >
> > > I also believe that, just like X10 stuff, it's also affected by phase
> > > (everything on the same phase should work but might not be able to talk
> > > to things that are connected to the other phase...
> >

>If I understand it correctly, the UK uses a 220 volt single-phase system
>with no "neutral" conductor.
>
>So you would not have the problem of different outlets being on different
>"sides" of the neutral, such as we can have here
>in the US.
>
>So what works for you might have only a 50% chance of working for me,
>depending on whether the outlets I am trying to use
>are on the same side (phase) or not. Nicolas mentioned the same potential
>problem, and I think he is right, but I think I
>can set things up so that everything's on the same phase for me.

On topic: Find a way to get real live wired ethernet to the box. There's no
other good way to do it. With more and more stuff coming with Gigabit by
default, it just works. Even without gigabit, do your wiring carefully, use
Cat 5e or Cat 6 wiring and watch your distances, and you should be able to
do 100mb full duplex, which is more like 200mb (well, 175mb anyhow.)

Off topic: I have no trouble with X10 (I'm in the midwestern US) everywhere
in my house-- Leviton has a widget called an X10 repeater that I've seen
for US$ 100-150 but I picked one up at a swap for $20. It's a little weird
though, I have a controller and two sets of lights on my living room, with
one set of lights on the other phase from the other two components. When I
hit the button for those lights, the ones on the same phase as the
controller go on immediately, then the other set go on (30 characters per
second x about 12 characters) later (X10 is 300 baud) as they make their
way through the repeater.

Mine looks like this:
http://www.smarthome.com/4820X/X10-Signal-Amplifier-Repeater-XPCR/p.aspx

It was pretty trivial to install-- just piggyback two of the wires to two
breakers that are on opposite phases. A third wire goes to the neutral buss
in the breaker panel. The fourth is not used in US residential panels.

People used to use capacitors rated for line voltage across the phases. I
don't recall what value-- perhaps 0.1 mfd or smaller. But it wasn't a
reliable as one of these widgets.

-----
671. Try not. There is no try. There is only do, or not do. --Yoda, a Jedi
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixcom.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531