[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon Sep 27 03:46:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>  On 9/26/2010 22:18, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
>>
>> Hi!

>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> In North America its "3-wire, single-phase, mid-point neutral".
>>> The 2 hot conductors are 180 degrees out of phase. Ref:
>>>
>> <<it is sometimes incorrectly referred to as "two phase>>
>
> So a 120° offset counts as a phase, but a 180° offset doesnt?  That doesn't
> make sense...

It's only one phase when it's generated, thus it's "split-phase" not "2 phase".

The distinction is important to those who generate and distribute high
voltage power (Disclaimer: I'm an EE student who currently works for
such a company, but in a sensible country)

2 phase has a 90° offset - it's useful for analysing induction motors
without needing as much math as 3 phase, but that's about it. (Note
that split-phase is completely useless for this purpose - an induction
motor can't self start from such a power source).

- Chris