[mythtv-users] Thin client frontend

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Sep 27 14:55:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> surely in a netboot+nfs scenario you don't need a full filesystem for each
> client? I've not set one up in a while, but that certainly wasn't my
> recollection.

It depends on how you do it. I'm using the LTSP based stuff from Mythbuntu.
I gather that the GUI in control-centre doesn't work anymore, but google
found me some docs on it. It creates a compressed filesystem image that it
shares out over nbd, then uses an NFS mount and AUFS I believe to handle the
custom stuff for each machine. The main root is mounted RO, so you can only
change it on the boot host. Just update the files using chroot, then run
ltsp-update-image and it compresses the new filesystem. Then just reboot the
FEs. So I run an "aptitude update; aptitude upgrade" on the backend, then on
the chroot FS for the FEs, then do the ltsp-update-client. Pretty simple,
keeps me from having to update all the boxes individually.

The downside is that the compressed image takes a little while to build. So
if you're testing changes it can be tedious. It is multi-threaded though, so
if you have a big CPU in the server and a decent I/O rate for the data, it's
not too bad.