[mythtv-users] Perpetual recording with MythTV?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:18:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:05 AM, jeetu.golani at gmail.com <
jeetu.golani at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Are you recording a TV signal?
>
> Yes I am recording a TV signal for later analysis (maybe manually scanned).
> However, I would like to record without a program guide.

Mythtv is heavily dependent on a program guide for scheduling. Make up a
"dummy" schedule as an xmltv file, which is simply has, say, the same
programme title in each hour, say "perpetual recording" and the date and
time as subtitle (in this context subtitle is the episode name, not text
that pops up on screen). Then import that via mythfilldatabase and then set
myth to record every episode of "perpetual recording".

Your xml file would look something like:

<tv>
 <channel id="the.one.channel.we.want">
                <display-name>Perpetual TV</display-name>
</channel>

<programme channel="the.one.channel.we.want" start="20100928070000 +1300"
stop="20100928080000 +1300">
                <title lang="eng">Perpetual Recording</title>
                <sub-title>28-09-2010 7.00 am</sub-title>
</programme>
(repeat the above block every hour, easy to generate via a simple script)
</tv>

You then get your recording in one hour blocks (of course if you want
smaller or larger blocks, the concept is easy to change).