[mythtv-users] DISH requiring manual input, was: OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 28 00:09:13 UTC 2010

On Monday, September 27, 2010 06:00:59 pm Mark Goldberg wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 02:19:37PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > But I am seeing more and more "press select" messages on my DISH
> > receiver, which of course screws up automated recordings.
>
> Have you tried this channel change script? It has not failed for me in
> 4 months for a scheduled recording. Live
> TV has messed up rarely, like twice, I think when there are two
> channels with the same number, one SD and
> one HD and only the SD one is active and you are changing to the next
> channel.

I do send a "select" before each channel change, but on occasion it seems to not work. It used to be infallible, but
lately it's been a problem.

I know about the update each night, which will result in a "press select" message, but it seems that other things are now
resulting in the same message.

I assumed it might be something like the old Neilsen boxes, where they were trying to figure out if someone was actually
watching or if they had simply tuned to PBS and left for the evening.

It seemed to happen a lot during the US Open, other than that I h ave not perceived any pattern.