[mythtv-users] DISH requiring manual input, was: OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 04:17:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010,  Brian Wood wrote:

>I do send a "select" before each channel change, but on occasion it seems to not work. It used to be infallible, but
>lately it's been a problem.
>
>I know about the update each night, which will result in a "press select" message, but it seems that other things are now
>resulting in the same message.
>
>I assumed it might be something like the old Neilsen boxes, where they were trying to figure out if someone was actually
>watching or if they had simply tuned to PBS and left for the evening.
>
>It seemed to happen a lot during the US Open, other than that I h ave not perceived any pattern.

It has been going for more than 3 hours of live tv on Monday Night
Football and the Postgame and it is working fine.
I've gone from channel to channel on live tv and I have not seen any
press select messages. Once I selected a channel
I don't have a subscription to and it had an press "OK" on the screen.
It then switched the guide to "All HD" that you get
when you select "guide" more than once. I had to use the actual dish
remote to select guide till it went to "All sub"
and it worked after that. I removed that channel from Myth listings.

I agree it is very automation unfriendly.

Have you set the Dish inactivity timeout to disabled?

Mark