[mythtv-users] LiveTV: stutter at program start/change resolved by short pause..?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 29 09:32:13 UTC 2010

Jan Schneider wrote:

> I'm seeing this too, especially with high bandwidth channels, for
> example HD content. Defragmenting the XFS storage improved the situation
> a bit, but not completely, and it gets worse again after a while.
> I don't see this behaviour always, but regularly. Another symptom of
> what I guess has the same cause, is some loss of stream content during
> the program change. The video/audio almost freezes for 1-2 seconds,
> dropping a frame or two during this pausing, and then either continues
> normally, or with the symptoms you describe.
> Programs that are being recorded in the background during that
> freeze/frame loss usually lose a few frames too.

What happens when there is a program change, with or without intervening
commercials, is that there's a good chance the video format changes: 1080 to 720
or vice versa, bit rate, frame rate, etc. Possibly several times until the new
program gets going.

There has been some talk on here which I interpret to understand that the HD-PVR
doesn't process these kinds of changes in the input stream particularly well. It
is possible that this is what you are seeing.

--

Mike Perkins