[mythtv-users] MTD going away

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:01:08 UTC 2010

Hi,

I used to use mtd to rip my dvd(s) because it was a very simple full
screen app that anyone who walked by the computer could see and swap a
disk, press a couple of buttons and move along..  This got the library
ripped fairly quickly since I ripped to iso at 8-10 minutes a disk.

It is about time to play catch up (has been several years), and was
just wondering what others used.  It needs to be very straight forward
- ie:

1.  See the "complete" message on the screen
2.  Pull disk, put on right stack
3.  grab disk from left stack, insert
4.  press a button, move along

(just like myth pretty much)

I can script something if pointed toward the right tools.  I have used
vobcopy/genisofs in the past, but never even come close to the speed
of mtd..  Anyone know what combo of utils it used?  I guess I never
tried to genisofs directly from the dvd though.  Maybe that is the
difference in speed..

Thanks or any recommendations..  I really do not want a app with 4000
options - just a quick rip to iso is all I need.  Disk space is not a
worry, no recompression, etc, etc...

Thanks for any recommendations.

-Greg