[mythtv-users] LiveTV: stutter at program start/change resolved by short pause..?

Daniel Born born_daniel at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 17:15:47 UTC 2010

>> I'm seeing this too, especially with high bandwidth channels, for
>> example HD content. Defragmenting the XFS storage improved the
>> situation a bit, but not completely, and it gets worse again after a
>> while.
>> I don't see this behaviour always, but regularly. Another symptom of
>> what I guess has the same cause, is some loss of stream content
>> during the program change. The video/audio almost freezes for 1-2
>> seconds, dropping a frame or two during this pausing, and then
>> either continues normally, or with the symptoms you describe.
>> Programs that are being recorded in the background during that
>> freeze/frame loss usually lose a few frames too.
>
> same problem here too. And it occurs on nearly each program change. The
> backend has a problem to switch fast enough to the next file, therefore
> the frontend gets stuck. Sometimes it lasts too long and the frontend
> jumps to main menu with a video-buffering error.
> On H264 content often the first frames are broken (perhaps new file
> don't start at a keyframe?).

If you don't mind, I'm going to hijack my own thread back! ;-) there's already low enough traffic and interest on this that I'd hate having it go in another direction...
The problem that I and others are referring to is not caused by channel changes: You start listening to a livetv program. It's choppy. pause-unpause and it's fine. Then your show ends and a new one begins, same channel. Choppyness starts again. pause-unpause. your good again.

Thanks!
Daniel