[mythtv-users] HELP! In antenna hell!

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Wed Sep 29 21:25:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 01:14:27PM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Here's what I'm thinking of doing next:
> - Adjusting the antenna locations then coming back down from the attic
> to get measurements of signal quality without me interfering with (or
> improving as the case may be) the reception.
> - Upgrading to RG6 quad shielded cables or maybe even RG11 but I don't
> think that will magically solve my problem. Currently I've got 25'
> RG59 to the UVSJ and RG6 going from the UVSJ to each antenna.
>
> Any useful/practical advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may be a victim of multi-path reflections causing signal quality
issues (not signal strength issues).  Outdoor and in the clear is
the usual remedy for this.

You don't say how far away the towers are, but you may be getting too
strong of a signal.  Add an inline attenuator or a splitter or two to
see if things improve.  I know, sounds counter intuitive but if there
is unwanted interference/mixing going on it can help.

Replace the separate antennas with a combination VHF/UHF antenna.  Try
some rabbit ears / UHF loop combo.  I'm sure you can find one for free
if you ask some people (at least for testing).

Antenna spacing is black art.  Normally you want to space them as far apart
as possible, but since they are covering different frequency bands it
may not be as big of a deal for you.  Channel 13 is at 210 MHz and
channel 14 is at 470MHz so there should be little interaction between
a VHF only and a UHF only antenna on the same support structure.
(Actually they reallocated 14-20 to land mobile so your UHF channels
start at ch 21 on 512MHz)

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?