[mythtv-users] KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T Card Not Responding to probe

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Sep 30 12:01:46 UTC 2010

Anthony Rooney wrote:

Hi Josu

Thanks a lot for your helpful suggestions which are most appreciated.

Are you suggesting that I can use the firmware for the USB tuner with my PCI
KWORLD 160?

What is still confusing me is why LinuxTV says it is supported by my Kernel
version however this discussion list suggests I need to install firmware.

Do I need to use make install or  ./configure then make and make install?

No one has clarified what steps I need to take and why the reference I
provided says this card is SUPPORTED by 2.6.28 or later Kernels.  What does
supported mean and I do not understand?

Thanks again.

Regards

Anthony

There is a difference between drivers/kernel modules and firmware.

The statement in this link http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Afatech_AF9015 means that drivers/kernel modules that should work for your card is included in kernel 2.6.28 and newer.

When it comes to the firmware then it depends on your distro if it is included or not. I believe that Ubuntu has packages for firmware to many DVB cards whereas OpenSuse does not.

I think the correct place for firmware on most distros is: /lib/firmware/.

Some PCI cards uses a USB to PCI bridge to communicate with the tuner. The chip on your card seems to contain a USB bridge so that is why the firware for the USB tuner probably will work for you.

Jens