[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 30 15:21:25 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 08:01:09 pm Craig Huff wrote:

> Went to NewEgg and ordered these:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122360

> So... After all that, the net result was nowhere near 200Mbps, or
> 100Mbps, but rather around 14Mbps.  Casual testing post-install
> indicates it may be "good enough" for my SD use, but it is still a far
> cry from the performance over a CAT-5 drop.
>
> YMMV!

Thanks for the info.

I have a pair of those on the way, should have them today or tomorrow.

The performance is hardly surprising, just about anything network-related is vastly over-rated by the marketing types.
Often they advertise speeds that could not possibly be obtained under any possible circumstances, even in a lab.

Of course they are usually referring to the "signaling" rate, not the effective data rate, but even then they are usually
way too optimistic.

I'm surprised that lawsuits similar to the one over "what is a gigabyte?" have not been filed, perhaps the manufacturers
have simply hired better lawyers to write better disclaimers, and graphic artists to create smaller and even more
illegible fonts (Scott Adams refers to them as "Enron Beelzebub").

I'll know in a few dates what my actual mileage turns out to be.