[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 30 16:08:35 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 08:01:09 pm Craig Huff wrote:
> OK, so I bit the bullet and bought some of these to see what they'd do
> for my problem.
>
> (To recap _my_ problem, I have a frontend that I was trying to work
> with via WiFi.  It was barely adequate during the daytime when no one
> in the neighborhood, including my wife, was doing anything with WiFi,
> but once the evening came, there were all sorts of dropped frames and
> finally lost connections, so it was impossible to watch a single
> recording.  This is all SD video since I have spent all my $$$ on
> MythTV instead of new TV displays ;-)).

The "evening factor" may not have anything to do with WiFi use, it may be that your neighbors are using microwave ovens,
cordless phones or the like. It could even be something like rush-hour commuters driving near your home with bluetooth
devices in use.

Of course heavier traffic on the WiFi channels would increase the likelihood of interference, but there are many other
factors that could be causing the "evening slowdown" problem.

Most people leave their WiFi routers on 24/7, so they would be transmitting at least beacon signals all the time.

Not related to Wifi, but shared services like Cable Modems tend to slow down during high-use periods, but that would effect
only your internet speed, not your in-house network.