[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 20:34:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so I bit the bullet and bought some of these to see what they'd do
> for my problem.
>
> (To recap _my_ problem, I have a frontend that I was trying to work
> with via WiFi.  It was barely adequate during the daytime when no one
> in the neighborhood, including my wife, was doing anything with WiFi,
> but once the evening came, there were all sorts of dropped frames and
> finally lost connections, so it was impossible to watch a single
> recording.  This is all SD video since I have spent all my $$$ on
> MythTV instead of new TV displays ;-)).
>
> In any case, (based on an earlier message in this thread, I believe) I
> installed iperf and jperf on my combination BE/FE, an FE that is on
> 10/100base-T, and the problem child struggling with WiFi.
>
> As a baseline, I found that the bandwidth to the 10/100Base-T FE was
> upwards of 95Mbps while the bandwidth to the WiFi unit (under evening
> --bad-- conditions) was around 6-7Mbps.  I was shocked that I could
> even get the poor performance I was getting with 6-7Mbps!
>
> Went to NewEgg and ordered these:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122360

I have similar gear, this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122329

I am using it in the office. From my (linux) server to my (wndows 7)
desktop iperf shows 37 to 38Mbit/s. Thats the simple default test mode
of iperf (iperf -s on one machine, iperf -c IPADDRESS on the other)