[mythtv-users] everyday i have to make sure myth worked the day before

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Apr 1 11:40:13 UTC 2011

On 11-04-01 07:01 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> And sadly, every few days I have to go report to my wife when something
> that was supposed to record didn't, for no fault of our own, but due to
> mythbackend locking up and/or having to be restarted so that a frontend
> can communicate with it, etc.

When I first set up Mythtv (0.18, I think, years ago), the back-end would
mysteriously die from time to time, resulting in missed recordings.

I don't know if it still does that today (0.24), because I added a "nanny"
task to babysit the back-end, and restart it whenever it dies abnormally
(but not for SIGTERM or SIGQUIT, system shutdown).

So I suggest you first figure out if that's the problem seen there:
is mythbackend actually still running the morning after a missed recording?

To know for sure, you'll have to login to the box, and use:

     sudo ps ax | grep '[m]yth'

Cheers