[mythtv-users] everyday i have to make sure myth worked the day before

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Apr 1 16:39:53 UTC 2011

If I were to play devil's advocate, there are really two problems
here:  the first is a basic reliability problem that the user is
experiencing.  Indeed, these are often a challenge to debug since the
developers usually cannot precisely reproduce the user's environment.
And in those cases really the onus is on the user to come up with a
sequence to reproduce or otherwise quantify the bug to sufficient
detail to allow it to be fixed.

The second issue though, is the need for users to "poll" MythTV in
general to find out if it did what it's supposed to.  I owned a Tivo
in 2001, and when I turned on the TV it was nice enough to inform me
when there were conflicts, or if something went wrong.  In 2011 we
still don't have any comparable functionality in Myth (either in the
main GUI or via some sort of email or other alerts).

Ask yourselves:  how many times have you sat down with some popcorn,
turned on your MythTV box, hit play on a recording, and found out that
there is a zero length file there?  Wouldn't it have been nice if Myth
had proactively told you that much earlier?

Having a solution for the second problem makes the first class of
problems much more bearable.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs