[mythtv-users] everyday i have to make sure myth worked the day before

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 04:24:17 UTC 2011

> I'm not sure how many times I have to explain that my backend process is
> not outright DYING but is deadlocked and so "nanny" processes to check
> for a non-existent backend and start one are not solutions here.
>
> Indeed, if the backend were simply dying, I *could* fix that.  Deadlocks
> likely require a much deeper understanding of the scheduling and
> threading within the core of the backend.

Until you can get a / true / fix for your problem, you may want to try using
monit and monitor port 6544.  If the backend is truly hosed, it won't be
able to respond on that port.

See: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Status_Monitoring_How_To

I did use this for a while, but if you make the timeout too short, it will
trigger when the backend is just busy and not hung.  I haven't had your
problem and currently only look for the pid missing out of the CPU queue.
To use the port monitor, you'll have to experiment with your system to find
an appropriate timeout value.

Good luck!

-- Ken E.