[mythtv-users] Configuring HDMI sound in Mythbuntu for ASUS GT430

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 06:54:21 UTC 2011

On 3 April 2011 16:28, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Chris Kapp <chris.kapp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> speaker-test -D front:0,0 -c 6
>
> I just tried that and got the following:
>
> Playback device is front:0,0
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Channels count (6) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
> Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument

> Starting to get used to messing 'round with the MythTV settings, but
> this ALSA stuff is like a different language to me right now. :-(

I always wonder where people go and the idea for some of the device
name they use.

"front" is front, and is analog only. This will be usually the
on-board audio card.
It's not the hdmi device and never will be unless you mess with alsa
configuration. Front is 2 speakers ; not 4,6,8 : 2

So that you get an invalid argument is not surprising.
You shouldn't take for absolute facts some of the incorrect
information that can pop up, here and there. This one fall into that
category

For getting the GT430 to work ; as I've mentioned several times, you
must use 1.0.24 alsa drivers *and* library.

You can tell which version of alsa you are running by doing:
cat /proc/asound/version.

If it shows 1.0.23 or lower, you won't get sound from your GT430.

Once you have the drivers installed *AND* the 1.0.24 ALSA library;
then when you do aplay -L (uppercase L) you will get something like
this:
$ aplay -L
null
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

The audio device to use is:
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=x
(where x is 0,1,2 or 3 or whatever the number that showed by aplay -L)

if running mythtv <= 0.24 ; you can find which device to use with:
speaker-test -c 6 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=x (x=0,1,2 or 3)

if using 0.24 with the audio backport or 0.25/master; it has its own
built-in speaker-test

Once you have found which device is the one working for you ;
In mythtv; you set the audio device as ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=x

With 0.24 and above, you press the scan audio device button and it
will be in the list.

Do *not* use stuff like hw:0,3 or other stuff some people have been
mentioning. This will not work most of the time for multi channels
LPCM etc..

JY