[mythtv-users] Configuring HDMI sound in Mythbuntu for ASUS GT430

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 07:25:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 4 April 2011 06:32, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> is working for me. Sound in both desktop and MythTV. I did fiddle
>> around with the:
>> speaker-test -c 6 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=X you mentioned. 0,1,2,3 all
>> brought up:
>> Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory
>>
>> The aplay -L actually shows it as:
>> hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=x (notice the _1 after Nvidia), but doing the
>> speaker test with that just produces silence.
>

> sigh...
>
> if aplay -L shows :
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=0 etc..
>
> so of course this is what you have to use in the examples I've provided.
>
> Wasn't it obvious ?

Uh, yes, it was. So need to "sigh" As I said in my message
"hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=x ...but doing the
speaker test with that just produces silence." And, yes, obviously I
did not use x, but 0,1,2, etc.

I also upgraded to MythTV 0.24. After doing a scan for audio devices, none of:

ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=0
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=1
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=2
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3

worked. The only scanned setting that worked for me was:

ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia-1,DEV=9 (and no, before you ask, the scan did not
create a ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=9)