[mythtv-users] "Watch Recordings" slow - disable thumbnail/preview generation, or big SQL queries?

Niklas Brunlid prefect47 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:07:03 UTC 2011

On 4 April 2011 20:10, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011 12:42 PM, Niklas Brunlid wrote:
> > System specs: Fedora 13 on an Asus K8V with an AMD64 3000+ and a Sparkle
> > GeForce 9400 GT PCI card, with OpenGL painter and VDPAU output, using
> > DVI->HDMI to a FullHD LCD TV and the SP/DIF of the mainboard directly to
> the
> > amplifier.
>
> Just as a test, could you drop your display resolution to 640x480, or
> try with an AGP video card?  Considering your system has an old Socket
> 754 board, chances are all of your peripherals, including disk
> controller, are slaved off the PCI bus.  With a video card running at
> that resolution on the same bus, my guess is that you've saturated it,
> preventing MySQL from accessing the database on disk.

Good point... I may be demanding too much out of an old system. I'll test
lowering the resolution this weekend.

I have actually seen the video card die (output freezes in corrupt state or
just goes black) a couple of times when the system was loaded with two or
more recordings running and playing back a third with timestretch and zoom.
Thankfully recordings continue just fine and the rest recovers after a
reboot.

Maybe it's time to do a server upgrade... but since I spend days researching
a simple SSD purchase I think I'll wait until summer vacation with that one.
=)

/ Niklas