[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase during recording screws up recordings.

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:33:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> Is there any way to prevent mythfilldatabase from running simultaneous to a recording? Can something be done in the scheduler to
> keep them separate?
>
> That is not the only thing on my system causing corrupted recordings on my system, but it is the most common cause.
>
> I plan to re-install Ubuntu when 11.04 comes out, and use a second spindle for recordings when I do, but one would think that it
> would be possible to avoid disk contention, prioritize disk activity, or at least provide some form of RAM cache big enough to
> prevent lost data on an i7 system with 6 GB of RAM.
>
> Sorry for the rant, just annoyed at another corrupted recording.

Look at Myth Events.  If I were doing this (probably NOT the right
way!!), I would create a script that would simply create an empty file
when a recording started and delete that file when the recording
ended.  I would then wrap mythfilldatabase in a script that checked to
see if the file existed and if it did, delay running mythfilldatabase
for a period of time.

I'm sure there is a more elegant way that would include storing
information about the length of the recording in the file so that
mythfilldatabase could read the data and act accordingly, but it all
depends on how fancy you want to get.

George