[mythtv-users] three questions with DVB-T

Robert Humphrey mythtv at robhumphrey.me.uk
Tue Apr 5 01:31:01 UTC 2011

> I'm using two dual DVB-T tuners, both connected to the same aerial

Can you give a bit more detail about what these tuners actually are?  How
are they connected to the aerial and does each device have one or two aerial
inputs?

The reason I ask is that I have a Nova-T Dual USB tuner, and from using tzap
(see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tzap ) I can see that enabling the second
tuner has a negative impact on the signal level and quality to the first
tuner.  If the signal level/signal to noise ratio is marginal then changes
in atmospheric conditions could be providing the 'pretty random' effect
you're seeing with it sometimes not getting lock.

I have noticed that the signal level and quality appears to need to be much
better to get initial lock than it does either once lock has been
established or to scan for the channels.

If your tuners are USB, one thing worth trying is connecting them via USB
cables and placing them a little way away from the PC.  Try to ensure the
aerial cable does not go near the PC/power supplies either.  I found that
doing this reduced the noise just enough to give me much more reliable lock.

Hope this helps
Rob