[mythtv-users] three questions with DVB-T

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 07:28:30 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 02:31, Robert Humphrey <mythtv at robhumphrey.me.uk> wrote:

> I'm using two dual DVB-T tuners, both connected to the same aerial
>>

> Can you give a bit more detail about what these tuners actually are?  How
> are they connected to the aerial and does each device have one or two aerial
> inputs?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have a Nova-T Dual USB tuner, and from using
> tzap (see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tzap ) I can see that enabling the
> second tuner has a negative impact on the signal level and quality to the
> first tuner.  If the signal level/signal to noise ratio is marginal then
> changes in atmospheric conditions could be providing the 'pretty random'
> effect you're seeing with it sometimes not getting lock.
>
> I have noticed that the signal level and quality appears to need to be much
> better to get initial lock than it does either once lock has been
> established or to scan for the channels.
>
> If your tuners are USB, one thing worth trying is connecting them via USB
> cables and placing them a little way away from the PC.  Try to ensure the
> aerial cable does not go near the PC/power supplies either.  I found that
> doing this reduced the noise just enough to give me much more reliable lock.
>
> Hope this helps
> Rob

I have a Nova-T, it did as you descibe for years and I just put up with it,
had to cold boot the machine to fix it, even that sometimes didn't work.
After seeing a message on this list, I turned off active EIT scanning for
the second tuner.  After this, have never had a failed recording.  Some info
here:
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc#toc-not-losing-one-of-the-nova-t-500s-tuners