[mythtv-users] Sky HD in Switzerland (Eutelsat 13.0 & Astra 19.2)

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Tue Apr 5 16:57:05 UTC 2011

Hi all

I'd like to finally get rid of Cablecom and CI+ slavery :-)
But I'm not sure which would be the best setup for me since I'm only a
MythTV User and not a Linux Hacker.

In Switzerland I can get Sky HD from Astra 19.2° and the Swiss stations
from Eutelsat 13.0°.
As far as I know there are smartcards for both of them needed.
Sky uses smartcards that use an Alphcrypt Module.
Swiss TV uses a Viaccess module.

I found this card that should be working:
- Technisat SkyStar HD2
(http://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?Reiter=Bilder&Artikel=161347)
and a CI module for Sky HD:
- TechniSat Common Interface für SkyStar HD2
(http://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?Reiter=Bilder&Artikel=187571)
and one for Swiss TV:
- Viaccess CI Modul
(http://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?Reiter=Bilder&Artikel=148163)

Or should I go for another DVB-S2 card like the ones listed in the
MythTV Wiki:
- Mystique SaTiX-S2 V2 CI Dual
(http://www.mystique-tv.de/en/product-overview/tv-karten/dvb-s-dvb-s2/mystique-satix-s2-v2-ci-dual)
This seems very interesting because it's a dual tuner and should have
good linux support (at least it's written on the manufacterer's homepage)
- NetUP Dual DVB S2 CI
(http://www.netup.tv/en-EN/dual_dvb-s2-ci_card.php) Another dual tuner
card with build in CI module but is it compatible to the Alphacrypt and
Viaccess modules?
- Turbosight TBS6980 PCIe Dual DVB-S2
(http://www.tbsdtv.com/english/product/6980.html) A third dual tuner
card but can I connect it to any CI modules?
- Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000
- Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2

Can I combine any of CI modules with any DVB-S2 card?

What confuses me is that I need two smartcards (one for Sky HD and one
for the Swiss channels). Will I have to switch the cards and modules all
the time or do I have to buy another set of DVB-S2 and CI module to
avoid this? Or is it possible to connect several CI modules with
smartcards to my backend and the the different DVB cards get the key
from the smartcards thatis needed because of the channel which is tuned
to? If you know what I mean :-?

I hope you can give me some general information / links about all this
satellite topic.
It would be great if there are any Swiss, German and Austrian people who
have experience with Sky HD and maybe Swiss TV too.
Some information about DVB-S2 with user experiences about how hard it
was to get the hardware working would very desirable :-)

Thanks in advance for your help
Ramon