[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Modify mythweb flash streaming for an in progress recording (Formula 1)

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Wed Apr 6 00:35:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realise that the mythweb flash streaming feature is not supported
> and appears to be removed or on its way to removal in upcoming
> releases.

The removal is news to me...

> My only issue now seems to be that ffmpeg only encodes the file to the
> point that is recorded when I start playback through mythweb.  Is
> there a safe way to read the inprogress recording so ffmpeg continues
> to encode newly recorded portions of the file?  I am think of
> something along the lines of 'cat'ing the file and piping it into
> ffmpeg, but is this safe?

cat also stops when it hit's a EOF. The correct way would be to sit a
new process inbetween the file and ffmpeg, on EOF, close and reopen
the file handle and seek to the old EOF position and start streaming
again if there is new data.

> Ideally I would also update the swf player to intermittently retrieve
> an update on the stream duration and size as the recording progresses
> but I haven't got a clue how to do the flash programming required.

All the flash players use internal adobe hooks. It's unlikely to be
able to be extended in the way your are asking without officially
extending the flv file spec and getting it approved upstream.