[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linuxsoftware RAID

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 08:39:53 UTC 2011

Robin Hill wrote:

>If you're planning on that number of drives, I'd recommend RAID6 instead
>of RAID5. RAID5 leaves you very vulnerable to getting a second drive
>failure during a rebuild, losing the array altogether.

Indeed. But for Myth media storage, is it better to have single
drives and multiple storage directories ? If writing multiple streams
to a RAID array, then that involves all the drives and performance
isn't necessarily better than a single drive (all that seeking). I
believe Myth will try and spread recordings across multiple storage
directories - thus aiming to write a single stream on each drive.

And then there are those who suggest ZFS is a better option anyway ...

--
Simon Hobson