[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:57:58 UTC 2011

Hi

On 7 April 2011 19:33, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
> Personally, my view is that with the price of storage as it is, parity RAID
> is only useful when one needs lots of cheap storage and the data stored on
> it is mostly quiescent; archives and the like. Otherwise, I prefer either
> RAID1 or RAID10, depending on budget. Mine is probably a minority opinion,
> though.

What a weird view.. So you use RAID1 no matter what? forget about
wasting that much disk ?

You'll also find you get much greater resistance to hardware failure
with parity RAID. You also get a greater throughput.

> I've not use SAS controllers before, but you should be able to connect SATA
> drives to them. I don't know how well that'll work, though. As another
> poster mentioned, you'll also need some kind of break-out cable/board.

SAS is backward compatible with SATA; you only need a SAS->SATA cable
; it's usually one port -> 4 SATA.

> HOWEVER... many of the chipsets used on cheap SATA controllers are buggy:
>
> <http://codemonkey.org.uk/2009/01/20/sata-disasters-silicon-image-3114/>
> <http://marc.info/?t=123089876500001&r=1&w=2>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/263160>

Something plugged out of the blue obviously, and certainly a one-off
occurrence.;

JY