[mythtv-users] Can an Atom D525 handle a frontend and a slave backend with dual ota hd tuners?

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Thu Apr 7 13:47:46 UTC 2011

On 4/7/2011 9:03 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> By using an atom as a backend you are below the recommended spec and when/if
> the scheduler runs (due to new recordrule, mythfilldatabase or eit data) the
> cpu will be the bottleneck and playback will almost certainly stutter.

Does that apply to my usecase? All the scheduling and database
management is done strictly in the primary backend, right? I'd be
keeping the mbe on my basement server, only running a slave upstairs on
the atom.

> Even for a simple frontend an atom/ion is not a recommended solution by the
> devs.

Hrm, well, that's good to know, anyway. It seems to be working for me so
far, but I'll bear it in mind. It's working even without VDPAU
currently, as I'm stuck running nouveau for the time being while I try
and figure out how to get the binary nvidia drivers to display the
proper 1360x768 resolution on my tv instead of forcing everything to 1080i.

> In otherwords if you have it and it works for you great but i wouldnt come
> complaining if playback stutters and it annoys you!  Lol
>
> Personally i would get a core2duo system in a basement/garage/cupboard for
> the backend/discs and use an ion dual core for the frontend.

That's essentially what I've got currently. My proposal (due to
space/location constraints) is to add a slave backend to the ion/atom
frontend machine, to handle the 950Q tuners, but they'd be recording
over nfs to disks running on the master backend (an i3-530 in the
basement). The network between them is gig-e, so nfs bandwidth shouldn't
be a bottleneck.

> Please excuse brevity and pistakes this email was composed on an Android
> smartphone.

No problem, I appreciate the input.

- Marc