[mythtv-users] Failed to initialize A/V Sync

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Thu Apr 7 16:56:56 UTC 2011

> On 04/04/2011 12:13 PM, Josh Norell wrote:
>> I've got a problem with changing channels in live tv often crashes the
>> playback. The frontend exits to the menu with "failed to initialize A/V sync"
>> It's not every time, but it can be quite frequent depending on the channel. It
>> seems to be much worse when tuning to an h.264 channel. I've had this problem
>> from .22 up to the current dev version. It's on an ION 330 running vdpau. Any
>> help please? Here's the frontend logs from when I changed the channel. I
>> pruned out most of the duplicate h264 errors. Thanks
..

I'm finding LiveTV rather unreliable in general for non-DVB devices,
especially when changing channels.  Fortunately, I only need LiveTV
for reception/setup tests, not for actual channel surfing or viewing.

The failures seem to have some kind of timing dependency or trigger.
My main box uses a PVR-250 for OTA analog stuff, and if I change channels
too quickly, the frontend locks up.

"Too quickly" here means more than one channel change within
about a 5-7 second interval.

This system does use an external channel change script,
calling out to ivtv-tune to actually set the new channel
after first rearranging the antenna array.

I find that adding small amounts of "sleep" after the ivtv-tune
seems to help things (not perfect but much better), but anything
larger than about 1 second kills it all again.

Just under 5 months to go before the death of analog OTA here now.  :)