[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:54:42 UTC 2011

>> For an non raid card I recommend the following controller under linux:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117157&cm_re=intel_sas-_-16-117-157-_-Product
>>
>> John
>
> 2. ^^^^ If I get this card, to be clear for my thick skull hehe, a) it is
> basically adding SATA ports to my motherboard to which I can connect my
> drives as normal, and then set up a linux software RAID, correct? and b) It
> specifies "RAID 0/1/1E/10E" but that is only if I use it as a hardware RAID
> card, correct? (in other words irrelevant since I'd use linux software
> RAID?)

At work I have these cards in JBOD mode so they show up as individual
disks. Then I use software linux raid 6 with the individual drives.

BTW, These cards require 2 special cables SFF-8087 to 4 x 7pin SATA
forward cables.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228057&cm_re=sas_cable_8087-_-12-228-057-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228056&cm_re=sas_cable_8087-_-12-228-056-_-Product

On eBay you can get these for less than $15 for 3ware ones. Here is a
Google search for these.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=huy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=3ware+sas+8087&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17016499459874477598&sa=X&ei=7z-eTfCdHOXo0gHnx8HaBA&ved=0CCMQ8wIwAg#

John