[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Apr 8 19:47:35 UTC 2011

On 11-04-08 12:43 AM, Bobby Gill wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com
> <mailto:jppoet at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Just for another data point, I have a one of these:
>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132018
>
>     and it has worked perfectly in my mythbackend.  To get full bandwidth, I
>     have it plugged into PCIe 4 lane slot.
>
> That one looks excellent! Would negate me needing to get the SAS cables, and
> when I consider my mobo having 6 SATA + 2 eSATA, I'd have 12 ports with the 4 on
> that card. 2 for OS on RAID1, 10 free for data storage. Sounds good.

That's a Marvell 7042 based board.
I wrote the in-kernel sata_mv.c libata driver for that chip (and its relatives),
and it is currently one of the more feature-full SATA controllers in Linux.

No power management, but it has everything else including ATAPI and port-multipler
support with FIS-based switching.

For proper operation, it really wants 2.5.35.3 or newer.
Support for SSD "TRIM" got added in 2.6.35.3.

The 2.6.34, 2.5.33, and 2.6.32 kernels should also work fine,
but without "TRIM" support.

Cheers