[mythtv-users] Adding DVB-S

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 22:53:27 UTC 2011

On 8 April 2011 23:13, Ray Kinsella <raykinsella78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> My mythv box has been working perfectly for the past few months as a DVB-T
> receiver.
> Its going so well I am considering adding DVB-S card to my rig.
> Question is pretty simple, I have dual tuner DVB-T card that enables me to
> watch and record tv at the same time.
> I will want the same flexibility from the satellite receiver ...
> All the Hauppauge DVB-S receiver all appear to have one coaxail connection,
> Do these enable recording and watching more than one satellite channels at
> the same time ... or do I need multiple cards?

DVB-S in the UK is multiplex-based and is supported in MythTV with
"multirec" in the same way as DVB-T. Whilst Freeview (DVB-T) currently
has 6 muxes, there are dozens of multiplexes broadcast from the Astra
2 cluster that provide the Freesat (DVB-S) service and other
free-to-air channels.

If you have a single DVB-S tuner, you are only be able to record
multiple channels that are available from a single multiplex at a
time. Note that this is the same situation you would face with a
single DVB-T tuner, so if you find yourself wanting to record from
different DVB-S muxes at the same time you will need another tuner. In
order to provision enough DVB tuners, you therefore need to
guesstimate the number of different muxes you are likely to want to
record from at any time.

In a combined DVB-S/T system - I currently have a single Hauppauge
Nova-S Plus and 3 DVB-T cards (plus a PVR-150 to record from a Virgin
TV STV) - there is a great deal of channel overlap (and repeats!)
between the two services. In my experience I have only wished for a
second DVB-S tuner a handful of times in the 2-3 years I've had
Freesat reception, although with more HD services launching as DVB-S2
transmissions on the way, a DVB-S2 tuner may well be added to the mix
soon,

Cheers,
Nick

--