[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 07:01:25 UTC 2011

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>     > The onboard BIOS may have trouble with a 3TB boot drive,
>     > but once Linux and sata_mv are loaded, there's nothing in
>     > the device driver to prevent full use of the capacity.
>
>Ok.  (No plans to use such a thing as a boot drive.)  [I'll bet
>the onboard BIOS has never heard of GPT, for one thing, or might
>have addressing limits.]

Booting should be agnostic of how the drive is formatted. The BIOS
should simply read in the boot sector (1st sector on drive ?) and
execute whatever it finds there - I imagine there might be some check
to see if it actually looks like boot code first. After that, the
loaded code is responsible for reading whatever else it needs. With
LILO, it had a stiff-coded* list of sectors to read, GRUB is better
and can understand a number of filesystems.

* The list of sectors containing the code required to boot was
written into the initial boot code - that's why you had to re-run
LILO when you fiddled with the boot volume - so this list could be
updated.

--
Simon Hobson