[mythtv-users] sound channel settings changes

Andy Wettstein ajw1980 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:57:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 03:29:36PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 12 April 2011 11:37, Andy Wettstein <ajw1980 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The setting I am talking about is on the settings. I can tell that the
> > setting has been changed because because during playback the receiver
> > will say PCM instead of Dolby Digital on shows that I know have Dolby
> > Digital.
>
> This is no proof whatsoever that the settings got changed.

You're right. This is only a sympton of the setting change. The proof is
by inspection. When this happens, I go look at the audio settings. I see
that the speaker configuration is set to stereo instead of 5.1.

> Stereo AC3 will always be decoded if you have set your speakers as
> 5.1. This is to enable upmixing on the fly.
> Only multi-channels (>2) AC3 is bitstreamed.

I should have been more clear. This is definitely for 5.1 Dolby Digital
audio that should be using passthrough.

> The only time stereo AC3 is bitstreamed , is if you have check AC3 and
> set your speakers as stereo
>

> > I then go into the settings and find that the speaker configuration is
> > set to stereo. I change it to 5.1 and it works fine until the next time
> > it changes. As I said, it has changed to stereo several times and I
> > haven't really noticed a pattern as to when it changes. I know it
> > doesn't happen every time mythfrontend starts or when the I have the
> > machine suspend because it doesn't happen every time that happens.
>
> As I wrote earlier ; it can only change from 5.1 to Stereo if you have
> modified yourself the mysql entry. mythfrontend will *never* change
> this value by itself.
>
> The only way mythfrontend with change that value is if you go into the
> settings and change from 5.1 to Stereo. Either you did yourself, or
> you have something else outside of myth doing it.
> it won't do it by itself. In fact, outside the settings code ; there
> is not even code to modify the mysql entries : it can only read the
> value.
>
> So something is accessing the mysql database ; and it certainly ain't
> myth outside the settings

I'm pretty sure I haven't changed that setting. It would be a little
strange for me to change the settings and then say that the settings are
changing for no reason, so I'll rule that option out.

I'll turn on the general log for mysql and see what it says.