[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Apr 12 17:40:24 UTC 2011

On 4/12/2011 13:19, Fa wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/11/2011 19:00, Fa wrote:
>     > 2.  Having to match the channel to the XMLTV is slow since it
>     takes a
>     > few secs to tune, with over 80 channels, it will take a few hours.
>
>     How do you propose we improve this?  Cable lineups are going to be
>     very
>

> 1.  I use to have TVs that would be able to display multiple Channels
> at the same time by taking time slices of each channel, kinda like
> multiple PIP.  Maybe display all the channels as a grid, then allow
> some interface to edit the channel's attributes, this will get rid of
> the time for tuning to each channel.

That was one of the things that I explained still wasn't ideal.  Time
sharing the tuner, and taking a still or even several seconds of video
from each channel would help, but will not guarantee that something
recognizable will be picked up in that time slice.  It would help some,
but you're still likely to spend a whole lot of time setting up the
XMLTV IDs.

> 2.  Maybe a better search algorithm for guessing the XMLTV ids, given
> enough information.

A better search algorithm would require that we have something to begin
with.  Broadcast channels, including broadcast channels on digital
cable, send out a callsign.  That callsign can typically be matched up
directly by MythTV, without the need for users to enter the XMLTV id.
Digital cable channels give us nothing.  Cable broadcasters have no need
to send that data since they have their own out-of-band tables.  All we
have to go on is the physical channel and stream ID.

>     > 3.  Why is the channel editor outside of the myth frontend?  I wish
>     > you could tune and change it right in the frontend guide.
>
>     We do have a limited channel editor accessible from within LiveTV.
>     Press 'e'.
>

> I tried this, but the menu was messed up, maybe my theme is at fault.

One of the other devs mentioned this editor has been enabled and
disabled multiple times over the past several years.  I know I have used
it before, but I don't know what state it is currently in off hand.