[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Apr 13 17:10:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/2011 13:19, Fa wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/11/2011 19:00, Fa wrote:
>> > 2.  Having to match the channel to the XMLTV is slow since it takes a
>> > few secs to tune, with over 80 channels, it will take a few hours.
>>
>> How do you propose we improve this?  Cable lineups are going to be very
>
> 1.  I use to have TVs that would be able to display multiple Channels at the
> same time by taking time slices of each channel, kinda like multiple PIP.
>  Maybe display all the channels as a grid, then allow some interface to edit
> the channel's attributes, this will get rid of the time for tuning to each
> channel.
>
> That was one of the things that I explained still wasn't ideal.  Time
> sharing the tuner, and taking a still or even several seconds of video from
> each channel would help, but will not guarantee that something recognizable
> will be picked up in that time slice.  It would help some, but you're still
> likely to spend a whole lot of time setting up the XMLTV IDs.

How about using using the logo finder in the commercial flagging software
and saving a short chunk of video for each 'logo' found?  This
certainly wouldn't
identify every channel, but I think it is likely to help.  Running an
automated logo
scan overnight and examining the results at my leisure sounds better then the
current situation.

How about leveraging schedule information?  At least in the case of
rescans, I already
now what channels are (probably) available, I just don't know their
current 'frequency'.
Leveraging a short video clip and the list of shows actually being
broadcast at that
exact time would make identification easier.   A GUI that kept track
of the matched/unmatched
listings/frequencies for me would help as well.  Or put a live
thumbnail video from a scan
in the corner of the screen and let me scroll through the listings to
find the match?

Admittedly all of these ideas are likely to take considerable
programming, but I don't see any
technical or legal reason they couldn't be done.

[From Robert McNamara's note, it sounds like some of this is being
worked on already.]

Bill Bogstad