[mythtv-users] LIRC and MythBuntu 10.10

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Apr 15 15:45:34 UTC 2011

On 11-04-15 11:29 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
>
>> Grab this tarball, unpack it, and use "make clean install".
>> Then reboot.  Presto, working lirc_serial blaster.
>>
>>     http://rtr.ca/lirc_serial_fixed.tar.gz
>>
>> Mind you, it only works as well as the code therein.
>> I find it to be rather spotty when run on a busy mythtv system.
>> Sometimes it works, sometimes it only partially works,
>> depending upon how busy the rest of the system is.
>>
>> Someday I really ought to write a proper implementation for this thing,
>> except I don't actually need/use it myself.
>
> Yeah, it needs a significant rewrite if its ever going to get out
> of staging, but I don't know that anyone really wants to touch it
> badly enough to make it happen. Its by far my least favorite IR
> driver that any significant number of people use. (I have even
> more disdain for lirc_parallel and lirc_sir, but very few people
> actually use those).

That's a bit of a shame, really, because it is by far the most
economical and least-wasteful method for adding an IR-Blaster.

What it needs to work properly, is a way to pass in the whole
channel change sequence in one go.  Then the in-kernel part can
clock the whole thing out in (soft) real-time with pretty decent
reliability.

But at present, each digit is a whole new kernel system call,
and the scheduling delays back at the original script/app just
kill any attempt at reliable timing.  Except when the system is idle.

Cheers