[mythtv-users] Ceton Infinitv4 on Amazon

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 18:02:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Devin Heitmueller
> <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Don't part of the new FCC rules define that they have to ship you a
> >> card if you request one?
> >
> > The rules requiring them to allow self install don't take effect until
> July.
> >
> > Devin
>
> maybe we'll have working linux drivers by then!
>

> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Comcast must install it in any device you ask as long as it is a CableLabs
certified OCUR.  In this case, the OCUR is the Ceton card, not you linux
box.  The tech that comes out may not know the difference, but technically
he cannot say no.  You could put it in a toaster, and as long it gets power
so that they can verify the tuner card and the CableCard are paired up, you
are good to go.  No Win7MC needed.

Previously in this mailing list, it has been stated that the Ceton support
is planned for .25, and as late as February 2nd, Daniel Kristjansson stated
the following:

"Actually, I have been waiting on some additional driver work
from Jeremy @ Ceton before continuing to work on this. Ceton
is not directly supporting any MythTV development work, but
they have been helpful. It slipped my mind as I have had a
overfull queue of MythTV development tasks and too little time,
but I just pinged Jeremy on that.

If need be I can add support without driver changes, but it
would not be the ideal solution.

-- Daniel"

As you can probably tell, Daniel Kristjansson is the dev actively developing
Ceton support in MythTV.  That is the last I have heard on this topic.

Chances are, self installs will be available to all by the time .25 is
released.

- Tom