[mythtv-users] Lirc confusion

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 18 21:13:32 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 05:09 PM, Gary wrote:

> Linux info from <command: uname --all> is: Linux debian 2.6.32-5-amd64
> #1 SMP
>
> Command used to show my Mythtv status was <gary at debian:~$ mythbackend
> --version>
>
>     Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>     MythTV Version   : 0.23.1
>     MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-23-1
>     Network Protocol : 23056
>     Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
>     QT Version       : 4.6.3
>     Options compiled in:
>      linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack
>     using_pulseoutput using_backend using_directfb using_dvb
>     using_firewire using_fribidi using_frontend
>     using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv
>     using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc
>     using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus
>     using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
>     using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl
>     using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau
>     using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg
>
> It looks like Lirc was included when mythtv was installed.
> Last 3 evenings spent searching for guidance in setting up lirc
> But most of it was "Greek" to me.
>
> What I want to do is be able to change channels of a satellite set top
> box from the pc keyboard - (want to try controlling the stb using the
> usb port)
>
> What needs to be installed (or configured) to get lirc working?
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated

MythTV uses LIRC only for receiving input.  It cannot send signals using
LIRC (transmit).

You need an external channel change script for controlling a LIRC
transmitter that can send IR signals to your STB.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Channel_Change_Scripts

Or, for some STBs, you can use firewire:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Firewire_Priming_Scripts

Mike