[mythtv-users] frontend can't login into backend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Apr 19 22:33:40 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 03:09 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
> On 4/18/2011 3:00 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:
>>> The backend protocol does not use username and password, MySQL does. It
>>> sounds like you have not set up the proper credentials for your remote
>>> machines.
>>>
>> So how would I check? on both boxes it is mythtv and mythtv.
>>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MySQL

Ahh, but deep on that page is a snippet which uses DbHostName=localhost
which CAUSES the exact problem he is trying to avoid.

If the DbHostname is localhost, or the IP is 127.0.0.1 then the mysql
server will not accept external connections..
Which is the type of problem reported by the error message.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury