[mythtv-users] XBMC Mythtv Frontend Plugin

Brian Fischer brianafischer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 02:30:58 UTC 2011

> One thing, it sometimes takes an age to exit XBMC, I am not sure what
> is up with that, but it isn't too much of a concern.

I am currently doing this on 0.24 and MythBuntu 10.04.  When I hit the
power button on my MCE remote, it immediately quits out of XBMC.  If I
use the proper XBMC exit, it appears to lockup and I probably have
never had the patience to wait for XBMC to exit.

Some additional suggestions:
My menu is using an XBMC image from a user Lepy on the Ubuntu Forums:

Using the post from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9230380&postcount=20

/*** START INSTRUCTIONS from POST by Lepy ***/
Copy /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml to
/home/yourusername/.mythtv/mainmenu.xml and add your entry as usual:

   <button>
     <type>MENU_XBMC</type>
     <text>XBMC</text>
        <description>Browse Movies, TV, and Music</description>
     <action>EXEC /usr/bin/xbmc</action>
   </button>

Additions under <buttonlist name="menu"> to
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/Arclight/menu-ui.xml (area is crucial or the
selection overlay will bleed):

                        <state name="MENU_XBMC">
                                <imagetype name="watermark">
                                <area>0,0,765,245</area>
                                <filename>/path/to/xbmc.png</filename>
                                </imagetype>
                        </state>
                        <state name="MENU_HULU">
                                <imagetype name="watermark">
                                <area>0,0,765,245</area>
                                <filename>/home/to/hulu.png</filename>
                                </imagetype>
                        </state>

Copying menu-ui.xml to your ~/.mythtv folder does not seem to work.
Also, to keep things organized, I have created a watermarks folder
with a path like this: /home/username/.mythtv/watermarks/boxee.png
/*** END INSTRUCTIONS ***/

-Brian