[mythtv-users] iPad Remote Control - Developers Wanted

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Fri Apr 22 15:30:47 UTC 2011

> Have you looked at the XBMC app for ideas?

Sure have. They're able to do all kinds of great things like streaming any
format via SMB because they are a Jailbreak only application. I'd rather
this be an App Store app, which limits me from a streaming perspective. That
being said, there are a lot of interactions somewhat lacking in existing
solutions, mainly because current apps, while great, are focusing only on
the network control features of the main myth module, and not all the
functionality inherent in the database or related to plugins (such as
auto-playing from MythVideo). These types of things should be possible
without a Jailbreak.

Once I get the initial app out, I'd like to investigate MythWeb enhancements
that could bring even more functionality (like an HTML5 viewer with
on-demand transcoding via mencoder) to the iPad. I was even debating on
creating this as a WebApp instead of a native application, to make it easily
portable between iPad and Android 3.0. Picture visiting MythWeb with the
iPad from a Springboard icon, and you automatically get the right
experience. My only concern here is network latency. While small, it would
be client to server to client, instead of direct client to client.

Thanks,
Ben