[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 14:36:25 UTC 2011

On 04/22/2011 01:57 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-04-22 04:12 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
>> I looked up how to set "vdpaubuffersize=" and found a web page entitled, "Enabling VDPAU in MythFrontend" on the MythTV Official Wiki<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU>. This page says to navigate to "Utilities ->  Setup ->  TV Settings ->  Playback ->  Playback Profiles (3/8) ->  Custom Filters" and add to the list of comma separated options. The problem is that there is nothing on my Playback Profiles page about Custom Filters.
> You have to then click on a profile and tunnel into the two screens of settings for it. The filters line is on the second screen.
>
> Yes, it's buried rather deeply in the menus.  :)

On "Playback Profiles (3/8)" I see nowhere to "click on a profile". I
see buttons to "Add New" and "Delete" a profile, and a button to "Edit"
a "Match criteria", but none of those buttons take me to a page with
"Custom Filters".

> The exact "vdpaubuffersize=" value needed will vary from system to system due to the bug that tralph's commit (above) fixes -->  the slower the system, the higher the value, to avoid buffers being recycled slower than needed.
>
> Eg. On my Ion2 box, 44 was the "right" value. But on my GT240 Core2 box, 40 was sufficient, despite both systems having identical VDPAU capabilities (granted, the GT240 has a lot more stream processors though).

How do you know when you've set the "right" value? Sure, you need it
high enough to avoid pixelation, but what is the downside of running too
high a value for "vdpaubuffersize="?

I have a Zotac GeForce 210 1 GB 64 bit DDR2 video card, and my playback
is not pixelated at all using the "Normal VDPAU" profile. (Although
sometimes I notice a significant lag in the video behind the audio, but
not just now.)

> Now, with the patches linked earlier in this thread, I don't specify "vdpaubuffersize=" at all, and both systems play back high bitrate h.264 content without blocky sequences.

I'm running MythTV 0.24-2 (which is the latest update from the MythDora
repository), so that means I'm not running the "patches linked earlier
in this thread," right?

Bob Shanteau