[mythtv-users] Myth crashing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 24 17:38:57 UTC 2011

On 04/24/2011 12:59 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-04-24 12:56 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Ok, now I'm really confused.
>>
>> I went into setting to see if disabling VDPAU would work for the time
>> being until I could afford a new card.
>>
>> When I got to the screen I was surprised to see "CPU+"

which uses XvMC, which was causing your crashes due to bugs in drivers
or recent XvMC or something

>>   instead of
>> "VDPAU Normal" or whatever. I changed it back to VDPAU and now it
>> appears to be working properly. I can play back recordings without
>> issue.
> My system did something like that last month too.
> Playback started crashing randomly etc.. and wasn't quite
> as smooth as I remembered it to be.
>
> And like you, after much gnashing of teeth, I found that mythtv
> had taken upon itself to reset the playback profile to one of the
> software profiles.
>
> I put it all back to VDPAU again, and crashes went away.

MythTV never "resets" (or changes in any way) playback profiles.
However, if you (or your DHCP server or ...) were to change your
hostname and/or IP address, MythTV may be using a whole new set of
settings, which will default to CPU+ (except in unstable--where all the
CPU* profiles were removed, because there was nothing left after we
removed XvMC).

Mike