[mythtv-users] Backend Upstart howto

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Apr 24 20:51:47 UTC 2011

On 04/24/2011 09:31 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been having the problem that whenever I restarted by master backend
> server, mythbackend would start without the tuners being available. This
> was the case because my tuners take a long time to initialise given that
> various bits of firmware need to be loaded and all manner of calibration
> appears to be required (according to dmesg).
>
> I finally found the time to solve this problem properly: determine which
> events are emitted when tuner initialisation completes, and add these to
> the 'start on' stanza in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf .
> I've done a writeup on the wiki[1]; please review and augment as required.
>
> [1]: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration

A tip published here was to delay starting the mythbackend service. Set
it NOT to start in the usual way (chkconfig mythbackend off), but start
it by a line near the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local (service mythbackend
start). The effect is the same but this makes it one of the last steps
before the x-server starts and ensures that the network and any tuners
which rely on modprobe, have stabilized. And you can even add a wait
time with a 'sleep 10' if necessary.

So does upstart have a similar last step script?

Geoff