[mythtv-users] RAID: full disk or partition (was: Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID)

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 02:36:37 UTC 2011

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Partition_Types

This gave a few arguments for using partitions (while also conceding that
the author of the RAID tool uses full disks, so clearly it's OK).  The
biggest one that stood out to me was that replacement disks could end up
being slightly smaller due to manufacturer or model variance, and of course,
nobody advertises the exact size.  RAID requires a replacement disk to be at
least as large as the failed disk to rebuild the array.

When I set up my RAID 5 array, I went with slightly undersized partitions
and "wasted" a bit of the free space.  Knowing I can throw in *any* 2TB disk
I can find off the shelf to replace a dead disk was worth both the extra GB
or two and the hassle of setting up partitions to me.

-Alex