[mythtv-users] Backend Upstart howto

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 06:08:08 UTC 2011

On 24/04/11 22:51, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> A tip published here was to delay starting the mythbackend service. Set
> it NOT to start in the usual way (chkconfig mythbackend off), but start
> it by a line near the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local (service mythbackend
> start). The effect is the same but this makes it one of the last steps
> before the x-server starts and ensures that the network and any tuners
> which rely on modprobe, have stabilized. And you can even add a wait
> time with a 'sleep 10' if necessary.
>
> So does upstart have a similar last step script?

Yes, that's what I did until I did what I described earlier. With a long
timeout (with sleep), because in the worst case the last of my tuners
isn't ready until 70 seconds after power-on. You can make this as robust
as you like by picking a long-enough timeout. Note that the amount of
time you need to wait might depend on whether you're cold-booting or
warm-booting, as in the latter case the tuners might not need their
firmware reloaded. And if for some reason a tuner does not come online
the backend will be started anyway. So some people might prefer this
method, but to me the backend does not have any purpose without its
tuners, so I prefer it not to start in case of tuner failure.

I had also tried starting on "started udev-finish" (which was another
tip floating around) but that is also not a proper fix, because although
udev might know that it has finished working through the boot-time
backlog it cannot know whether any events are yet to fire as a result of
actions it has initiated (such as firmware loads).

Cheers, Jan