[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Steve stevemyth at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Apr 25 17:46:48 UTC 2011

On 04/25/2011 10:28 AM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> I'm considering producing a nice little USB dongle to power on/off the
> HD-PVR in the times that it decides to misbehave for whatever reason.
>  I was wondering:
>
> How many people would be interested in getting one?  I don't know the
> cost yet, but I will look into that over the next few days.
>
> The biggest concern at this time is finding matching power plugs such
> that there would be no cutting of power cables required.  Other than
> that, it's basically a relay and USB glue.  I would be writing the
> script to drive it as well.  If anyone with an HD-PVR has a micrometer
> and can measure the barrel size and pin size, it would make the power
> plug selection a lot simpler.
>
> So, how much interest would there be?

The easiest way to do this would be to get an X10 firecracker CM17A
available on ebay for about $8 shipped. This plugs into the serial port
and can be controlled by a simple program called bottlerocket.

Then buy an X10 Transceiver module like TM751 and plug your hd-pvr into
that. The transceiver module goes for about $10 shipped on ebay.

So for under $20 you can get it going.

I use this idea but for powering on my backup usb external hard drives.
My script powers them on, waits about 15 seconds for them to be
recognized, then mounts them and runs my backup script, then once done,
it unmounts them and powers them back off.

-Steve