[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:59:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> How about something using a USB serial adaptor, it's pretty common to use
> DTR to signal there is a similar example here:
> http://www.bolis.com/amillar/electronics/serial-port-control-power-switch

That's pretty much the idea, but not so... huge. :)  I'd be most interested
in making a small board, but I need to figure out what the choices are
(obviously).  It would have to be safe too.

> You wouldn't need the AC power relay so would be even simpler, a few
> minutes googling comes up with many similar projects.

I'd be using a relay whether doing it on the DC side or the AC side.  I'm
not messing with high-power transistors where a relay will do the job just
fine.  The HD-PVR is rated at 5V/2A, and I don't want to be messing with
such fun as heatsinks.

> btw I don't have a HD-PVR but I am an Electronics Engineer.

As am I (well Electrical, but electronics is a large portion of that).