[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Scott Colbeck scolbeck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:24:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm considering producing a nice little USB dongle to power on/off the
> HD-PVR in the times that it decides to misbehave for whatever reason.  I was
> wondering:
> How many people would be interested in getting one?  I don't know the cost
> yet, but I will look into that over the next few days.
> The biggest concern at this time is finding matching power plugs such that
> there would be no cutting of power cables required.  Other than that, it's
> basically a relay and USB glue.  I would be writing the script to drive it
> as well.  If anyone with an HD-PVR has a micrometer and can measure the
> barrel size and pin size, it would make the power plug selection a lot
> simpler.
> So, how much interest would there be?

For those that have their backend setup to turn on/off for recordings,
I use the APC P7GT surge protector (I think I paid around $25 for it).
 It allows for you to cut power to the HD-PVR when your backend
computer turns off.  Conversely, it will power the HD-PVR back on when
the backend turns on.  Since using this surge protector for well over
a year, I haven't had a single failed recording from any of my
HD-PVRs.